George, Iowa — Eleven people were overcome by fumes of some kind on Wednesday afternoon at a chicken confinement between George and Boyden.
According to Lyon County Sheriff Stewart Vander Stoep, the call came in about 2:40 PM, for eleven people experiencing symptoms such as vomiting, headaches, blurred vision, and respiratory problems at 3902 260th Street. That’s about five miles south of George, or 11 miles north of Boyden, and a mile west on A52.
The sheriff says that the people were washing the walls after a bird flu outbreak. He says they originally thought the gas was anhydrous ammonia, or ammonia of some kind, but the workers said that their gas masks should have protected them from that.
We are told that about half of those who were overcome were taken to hospitals in Rock Rapids and Sheldon.
The Sheriff says the George Fire Department was on the scene late Wednesday afternoon checking oxygen levels in the building.
The Sheriff says the investigation continues.