Sibley, Iowa — Quick thinking prevented a fire in Sibley on Friday, November 25th.
Sibley Fire Chief Kenny Huls says it was a smoke-in-the-house call at 925 Eighth Street. He says the homeowner noticed the smoke, and called 911. Then she discovered the cause of the smoke. An old stove that wasn’t used anymore in the basement must have been nudged on when she placed a plastic pot on it, says Huls.
He says when she found it, she put the pot in the sink and doused it with water. So the firefighters just made sure everything was OK and used exhaust fans to rid the house of smoke.
Huls says the stove had been hard-wired into the electric system, so since she said she never used it, firefighters disconnected it from the system so it didn’t happen again.
Huls says they were on-scene for between a half hour and forty-five minutes.