According to the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office, one of their dispatchers, Rene Miranda, was on his way home from work after finishing his 4:00 to midnight shift in the Osceola County Communications Center when he observed smoke, and a house that was on fire in the 700 block of 3rd Street in Sibley.
Officials say Miranda discovered the blaze shortly after midnight, and notified Sibley Fire/Rescue. The Sheriff’s Office says Miranda then roused a sleepy occupant inside the burning residence. Authorities say the occupant then used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.
Officials say they believe that the fire started in a tin receptacle for cigarettes, spread to a lawn chair and then to the siding of the house. The tin receptacle and lawn chair were located on an outside deck.
Thanks to Miranda’s quick action, the fire was extinguished before the home was heavily damaged, and before anyone was injured.