Northwest Iowa — Governor Kim Reynolds has asked President Donald Trump for a federal disaster declaration and $16-million in federal assistance to help 30 counties, including the four counties in our primary broadcast area, recover from severe storms and flooding in June and July.

Osceola County received lots of rainfall and flash flooding during that time that even forced one city to evacuate residents. County Engineer Aaron Holmbech says water flowed over roads and bridges causing damage.

Holmbech estimated that Osceola County is facing more than a half-million-dollars in damage.

In Sioux County, Emergency Management Coordinator Nate Huizenga says his county had widespread damage from the flooding. He says that, while he doesn’t have a final total, it doesn’t take long for the costs to mount up.

The City of Rock Valley also dealt with major flooding earlier this summer, the second time in four years that they have experienced flooding. City Manager Tom Van Maanen says he’s hopeful that the city can get FEMA assistance to help cover the costs.

In Lyon County, Emergency Management Coordinator Arden Kopischke says that most of the damage in his county was to county roads, culverts, and around bridges.

O’Brien County received widespread damage from the June flooding, as well, with the Hartley area seeming to take the brunt of the flood damage.

Members of the Iowa Congressional delegation sent a letter to the president asking him to quickly approve the disaster declaration. Counties included in the disaster request include: O’Brien, Osceola, Lyon, Sioux, Buena Vista, Cerro Gordo, Chickasaw, Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Floyd, Hamilton, Hancock, Humboldt, Kossuth, Palo Alto, Pocahontas, Story, Webster, Winnebago, and Wright.

This entry was posted on Monday, August 6th, 2018 at 3:32 pm and is filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.