April 12, 2019 - 1:54 pm - Posted in News

Ocheyedan, Iowa — A house was damaged in a fire on Thursday, April 11, 2019, near Ocheyedan.

According to Ocheyedan Fire Chief Dan Hartwig, about 6:15 p.m., the Ocheyedan Fire Department was called to the report of a house fire at 6358 180th Street, a mile and a half south of Ocheyedan.

The chief says it was a fire on the outside of the chimney. He says they put out the fire in the fireplace, then went into the attic and removed the insulation from around the chimney. He says they also opened a hole above the fireplace to get the fire out. He says they only used minimal water.

Hartwig says no injuries were reported.

According to Hartwig, the chimney just got too hot and started burning nearby material. He reports that there was moderate damage to the home. He estimates it to be in the $5000 range.

Hartwig tells us the 20 firefighters who responded were on scene for about an hour.

This entry was posted on Friday, April 12th, 2019 at 1:54 pm and is filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.